A Poets & Quants article highlights the hiring statistics reported by the MBA class of 2010. Here are some highlights from the 2010 employment reports at several top business schools:
- McKinsey & Co. was the number one recruiter at Wharton, Columbia, Chicago, and MIT, despite the slight decrease in the number of MBAs hired this year compared to last year. The company hired 44 MBAs from Wharton (down from last year’s 50), 38 MBAs from Columbia (12 fewer than last year), 15 grads from MIT (compared to 24 last year), and 24 from Chicago Booth (a slight increase from 2009′s 23 grads).
- The P&Q article calls the Boston Consulting Group “the most aggressively expanding MBA hirer.” The company hired 43 MBAs from the Wharton class of 2010 (a significant increase from the class of 2009′s 31 hires), 19 MBA from Chicago Booth (up from last year’s 9 grads), 25 from Columbia (up from last year’s 21), and 14 from MIT Sloan (an increase from 2009′s 8 graduates).
- McKinsey hired 32 MBAs from Kellogg (an increase from last year’s 26), but the school’s top recruiter was the Boston Consulting Group, hiring 35 graduates this (versus last year’s 23 hires).
- Other companies like Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs showed significant recovery in their hiring this past year from the economic recession in 2008-2009. Morgan Stanley doubled its hiring at Columbia and Chicago Booth.
- Deloitte Consulting’s heavy hiring grounds in 2010 were at Columbia, Duke Fuqua, Berkeley Haas, and Michigan Ross.
- The highest salary reported by a member of the MBA class of 2010 was $330,000 a year from a Stanford graduate who landed a job at an unidentified private equity firm.
- The median salary for a graduate in private equity was $135,000, with a median signing bonus of $35,000 and “median additional guaranteed compensation was a whopping $155,000. Very few MBA candidates per year go directly into private equity.
MBA applicants who have a clear idea of the professional direction they want to go in should find this data (and rest of the data in the P&Q article, “BCG Expanded MBA Hiring This Year“) helpful.
Accepted.com ~ Helping You Write Your Best