Drum roll please…The Financial Times ranks the top 25 global b-schools as follows…
1. Harvard Business School
2. Stanford Graduate School of Business
3. University of Pennsylvania – Wharton
4. London Business School
5. Columbia Business School
7. IESE Business School
8. Hong Kong UST Business School
9. MIT Sloan
10. Chicago Booth
11. IE Business School
12. UC Berkeley Haas
13. Northwestern Kellogg
14. Yale School of Management
15. CEIBS – China
16. Dartmouth Tuck (tied)
16. Cambridge Judge (tied)
18. Duke Fuqua
19. Switzerland (tied)
19. NYU Stern (tied)
21. HEC Paris
22. ESADE Business School – Spain
23. UCLA Anderson
24. Oxford Saïd (tied)
24. Cornell Johnson (tied)
(You can read about the FT’s ranking methodology here.)
A few points of interest (from the FT’s lead article)
- 51 of the top 100 schools are located in the U.S. including 6 schools in the top 10.
- 26 of the top 100 schools are located in Europe. London Business School is the top school in that region.
- 14 of the top 100 schools are located in Asia (up from 12 last year). Hong Kong University of Science and Technology is the top b-school in that region.
- Since 1999 when the FT began publishing MBA rankings, only four schools have ranked in first place: HBS, Stanford GSB, Wharton, and London Business School.
- The male-female salary gap this year has narrowed for the first time. Instead of the traditional $20,000 pay gap (three years post-graduation), the gap is down to $10,000 at $126,000 average salary for women and $136,000 average salary for men.
FYI: Poets & Quants published a critique of the 2013 FT ranking in “Stanford Alums Make the Most Dough.” In this article, John Byrne, rankings savant and designer of the original BW rankings, points out anomalies and weaknesses in the FT results.
MBA50 provides additional analysis in “The FT Full-Time MBA Ranking 2013 – Winners and Losers.” Its final line sums up all the hub-bub about rankings – any rankings – beautifully: “Only you can work out the best business school in the world…for you.”
Accepted.com ~ Helping You Write Your Best