U.S. News has released its list of schools with the most applicants for the fall 2016 entering class. These schools received an average of nearly 1,200 applications. There was a total of 696,847 students that applied to enter the fall 2016 class among the 118 ranked med schools that submitted data to U.S. News for their annual survey.
Here are some of the findings:
• The majority of schools that received the most applications had more than 10,000 applicants for the 2016-17 school year. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine in Pennsylvania had the most applicants – 16,187. The school had an acceptance rate of 8.2%, which is much higher than the average rate of 5.8%.
• Four schools on the list, George Washington University (DC); Georgetown University (DC); Brown University (RI); and UCLA (Los Angeles), had less than a 3% admission rate.
• The average number of applicants among the top 10 schools was 11,975. The overall average was 5,905.
• University of South Dakota received 859 applicants, the fewest in the survey.
Below is the list of the 10 medical schools that received the highest number of applications for fall 2016. Unranked schools, which did not meet certain criteria to be numerically ranked, were not considered for the report.
*RNP denotes an institution that is ranked at the bottom one-fourth of all medical schools. U.S. News calculates a rank for the school but has chosen not to publish it.For 25 years, Accepted has helped applicants gain acceptance to their dream healthcare programs. Our outstanding team of admissions consultants features former admissions directors, admissions committee members, pre-health advisors, postbac program directors, and doctors. Our staff has guided applicants to acceptance at allopathic (MD) and osteopathic (DO) medical schools, residencies and fellowships, dental school, veterinarian school, and physician assistant programs at top schools such as Harvard, Stanford, Penn, UCSF, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, and many more. Want an admissions expert to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!
• Navigate the Med School Maze, a free guide
• How to Get the Most Out of Working With a Med School Admissions Consultant
• U.S. News’ Top 10 Most Selective Medical Schools