Tens of thousands of students apply to medical school each year. The US News Short List has come out with their ranking of the 10 medical schools with the most applicants for Fall 2015. Data was submitted by 116 ranked medical schools for the annual survey. Here are some of their findings:
• Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (PA) received the most applicants for the entering class of 2015 (15,475). Lake Erie and Drexel University (PA) switched rankings for this year.
• The majority of schools on this year’s list were also on last year’s list. Brown University (RI) and Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (NY), however, are newcomers to the Top 10.
• The average among the top 10 med schools with the largest number of applicants was 12,194. This figure is significantly higher than the average among all schools that were included in the survey. The overall average (5,693) was less than half of the average number of applications at the top 10.
• Four of the top 10 most-applied-to schools are located in Pennsylvania.
• Three of the top 10 schools – George Washington University (DC), Georgetown University (DC), and Brown University (RI) – were also among the med schools with the lowest admission rates for Fall 2015.
Below is a list of the 10 medical schools receiving the most applicants for Fall 2015 as well as their rankings for Fall 2014.