Let’s talk about med school acceptance rates. Which schools have the lowest acceptance rates? The 120 med schools ranked by U.S. News in their 2017-2018 survey, had an average of a 7% acceptance rate, while those with the lowest acceptance rates averaged a mere 2.8%!
Here’s a look at this past year’s list:
|School (State)||Total Applicants||Total Acceptances||Acceptance Rate||U.S. News Research Rank||U.S. News Primary Care Rank|
|Mayo Clinic School of Medicine (MN)||8,068||168||2.1%||6 (tie)||32 (tie)|
|Stanford University (CA)||7,258||167||2.3%||3 (tie)||32 (tie)|
|Florida State University (FL)||5,866||151||2.6%||RNP*||RNP|
|Wake Forest University (NC)||9,281||261||2.8%||52 (tie)||61 (tie)|
|George Washington University (DC)||11,432||335||2.9%||62 (tie)||79 (tie)|
|Georgetown University (DC)||14,062||403||2.9%||46 (tie)||RNP|
|University of California - Davis||6,943||204||2.9%||39 (tie)||10 (tie)|
|University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)||11,417||362||3.2%||8 (tie)||4|
|Brown University (Alpert) (RI)||9,922||322||3.2%||32 (tie)||39 (tie)|
|University of California - San Diego||7,972||258||3.2%||22||17|
Notes from U.S. News:
- Unranked schools, which did not meet certain criteria required by U.S. News to be numerically ranked, were not included in this report.
- *RNP indicates a school that is ranked in the bottom quarter of all rank-eligible medical and osteopathic programs. U.S. News calculated a rank for those schools, but elected not to print it.
Is your heart set on going to one of these highly competitive medical schools? Check out our Medical School Application Services for one-on-one guidance that will help you get ACCEPTED!For 25 years, Accepted has helped applicants gain acceptance to their dream healthcare programs. Our outstanding team of admissions consultants features former admissions directors, admissions committee members, pre-health advisors, postbac program directors, and doctors. Our staff has guided applicants to acceptance at allopathic (MD) and osteopathic (DO) medical schools, residencies and fellowships, dental school, veterinarian school, and physician assistant programs at top schools such as Harvard, Stanford, Penn, UCSF, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, and many more. Want an admissions expert to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!
• U.S. News Rankings: Everything I Ever Wanted to Know (But was Afraid to Ask), a podcast episode
• Navigate the Med School Maze, a free guide
• In-State vs. Out-of-State Med School Acceptance Rates: Why You Should Care
Last updated on