Western University of the Health Sciences is an osteopathic school that emphasizes a desire for life-long learning and a commitment to serving a range of people with compassion. One of the school’s goals is to increase care to underprivileged communities and extend quality of life with patient-centered care.
Western University also places a strong emphasis on cultural competence and a commitment to cooperating with med school peers to achieve a goal.
Western University’s 2018 Secondary Application Essay Questions:
• Character count is 1650 characters, including spaces.
• The secondaries are required.
1. While shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
This question asks you to show your knowledge of osteopathic medicine and explain why you are interested in it. Be specific about what you observed and why this inspired you to pursue a DO degree. (Note: You should be sure to shadow a DO physician if you plan to pursue the degree.)
2. What was your most memorable community service activity and how did it impact you?
Make a list of your community service experiences. Here, you should be specific and describe one activity where you contributed to the community. Why was this important for you? What did you learn from the experience? Avoid repeating your personal statement.
3. What is your specific interest in the osteopathic medicine program at COMP – Pomona Campus?
Examine the website and mission statement for the school and make a list of all of the attributes you admire and activities you see yourself participating in. For this question, explain what aspects of the school interest you in particular. You should name particular programs and activities.
4. Describe why you see yourself as a great “fit” for our school.
For this question, return to the website and mission statement and make a list of your qualities that match the mission statement’s ideas. How do you represent these aspects of the school? Write an answer that gives specific information about your background or your experience that illustrates how you are a good fit for the school. Remember here, “Show, don’t tell.”
5. Is there anything in your application that you would like to explain to the Admissions Committee?
This is a place for you to write about anything else in your application that has not been covered elsewhere. You can also use this spot to explain any extenuating circumstances in your family or educational background, but be sure not to repeat information you’ve written for another question.
If you would like professional guidance with your Western University of Health Sciences application materials, check out Accepted’s Medical School Admissions Consulting and Editing Services, which include advising, editing, and interview coaching for Western University’s application materials.
***Disclaimer: Information is subject to change. Please check with individual programs to verify the essay questions, instructions and deadlines.***
• 5 Fatal Flaws to Avoid in Your Meds School Application Essays, a free guide
• 5 Tips for Completing AACOMAS Secondary Applications
• What 3 Essential Ingredients Must You Include in Your Statement of Purpose?
Last updated on