Most of you are now — or will be soon — editing your critical application essays and personal statements. When Accepted consultants review and edit your essays, they go through a process I call the editing funnel. When you edit your own essays, you should follow a similar process.
How the editing funnel works
Here’s your step-by-step guide to using the editing funnel:
- Start with the big picture (top of the funnel)
At the top of the funnel you evaluate your essay in the context of the application. Ask yourself:
• Does it add to the reader’s knowledge of you?
• Does it introduce the reader to a dimension not revealed in the boxes, numbers, and transcripts?
• If you are submitting more than one essay in your application, do they complement each other?
- Then begin to narrow your focus (middle of the funnel)
Going deeper into the funnel, your focus should narrow to the individual essays. Make sure that you:
• Check that each essay has a clear theme and logical structure.
• Ensure that it addresses the question(s) posed.
• Look for the specifics that will add life and distinctiveness to your writing and your application.
- Move to the nitty-gritty (bottom of the funnel)
At the narrowest part of the funnel, check writing mechanics: clarity, grammar, style, word usage, spelling, punctuation, and all the nitty-gritty details of writing. You may be a little bleary-eyed at this point and almost unable to view the essay(s) objectively. To restore a little objectivity, put the draft away, preferably for a couple of days; if you don’t have that much time, then at least a couple of hours. When proofing your essay, read it out loud. Doing so will slow you down and allow your ear to catch some of the little errors that your eye may miss.
Turn to the pros
If you want professional editing that saves you time and guides your essay(s) through the editing funnel while maintaining your voice, check out Accepted’s professional personal statement and application essay editing services. Learn more about how we can help you get ACCEPTED.For 25 years, Accepted has helped applicants gain acceptance to top undergraduate and graduate programs. Our expert team of admissions consultants features former admissions directors, PhDs, and professional writers who have advised clients to acceptance at top programs worldwide including Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Princeton, Penn, Columbia, Oxford, Cambridge, INSEAD, MIT, Caltech, UC Berkeley, and Northwestern. Want an admissions expert to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!