The Valentine’s Day episode of Admissions Straight Talk — the perfect opportunity to invite… an economist to be our guest on the show. Listen to the full recording of our enlightening conversation with Dr. Paul Oyer, Professor of Economics, at Stanford’s Graduate School of Business. Dr. Oyer and Linda discuss the common thread between dating, economics, and admissions. Spot-on, right?
00:02:12 – Featured Applicant Question: Do I need to explain my low GPA to the adcom?
00:06:18 – Why Dr. Oyer wrote Everything I Ever Needed to Know about Economics I Learned from Online Dating.
00:11:04 – The limits of economics in explaining online dating.
00:15:49 – How offline dating is like an economic market too. (Yup, economists take the fun out of everything.)
00:17:42 – Signaling: Why education is a waste, but still serves a purpose. How virtual roses signify credibility. And what the college/grad school admissions process has to do with signaling.
00:32:06 – The parallels between economics and dating – Wonderful, but not surprising.
00:33:47 – An interesting aspect of the law and MBA student internship-to-job-offer ratios.
00:38:20 – A Stanford GSB professor’s reflection on the defining characteristic of students at that b-school.
00:40:51 – How Dr. Oyer’s books have changed his teaching.
00:43:36 – What MBA students need to know before they start school.
*Theme music is courtesy of podcastthemes.com.
• Everything I Ever Needed to Know about Economics I Learned from Online Dating
• Roadside MBA: Back Road Lessons for Entrepreneurs, Executives and Small Business Owners
• How to Be a Better Valentine, Through Economics
• Stanford GSB Zone • Stanford GSB MBA Questions, Deadlines, Tips
• Get Accepted to Stanford GSB, a free webinar
• A B-School Professor on Main Street, USA
• The Stanford MSx Program for Experienced Leaders
• MBA Project Search: Matchmaking for MBAs and Businesses
• Entrepreneurship at Stanford GSB: Carlypso Drives Down the Startup St.