The Application Essay Do’s:
- Unite your essay and give it direction with a theme or thesis. The thesis is the main point you want to communicate.
- Before you begin writing, choose what you want to discuss and the order in which you want to discuss it.
- Use concrete examples from your life experience to support your thesis and distinguish yourself from other applicants.
- te about what interests you, excites you. That’s what the admissions staff wants to read.
- Start your essay with an attention-grabbing lead — an anecdote, quote, question, or engaging description of a scene.
- End your essay with a conclusion that refers back to the lead and restates your thesis.
- Revise your essay at least three times.
- In addition to your editing, ask someone else to critique your essay for you.
- Proofread your essay by reading it out loud or recording it and playing it back.
- Write clearly, succinctly.
The Application Essay Don’ts:
- Don’t include information that doesn’t support your thesis.
- Don’t start your essay with “I was born in…,” or “My parents came from…”
- Don’t write an autobiography, itinerary, or resume in prose.
- Don’t try to be a clown (but gentle humor is OK).
- Don’t be afraid to start over if the essay just isn’t working or doesn’t answer the essay question.
- Don’t try to impress your reader with your vocabulary.
- Don’t rely exclusively on your computer to check your spelling and grammar.
- Don’t provide a collection of generic statements and platitudes.
- Don’t give mealy-mouthed, weak excuses for your GPA or test scores.
- Don’t make things up.
But wait. What if you are still not sure how to develop a unifying theme? Or perhaps you don’t know which experiences to focus on, or simply lack confidence in your writing skills, or have suddenly developed an acute case of blank-screen-it-is? Remember, you can have one-on-one, personalized assistance every step of the way. Accepted’s services will give you the guidance and direction necessary to draft a compelling story and the comprehensive editing needed to perfect it.
For 25 years, Accepted has helped applicants gain acceptance to top undergraduate and graduate programs. Our expert team of admissions consultants features former admissions directors, PhDs, and professional writers who have advised clients to acceptance at top programs worldwide including Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Princeton, Penn, Columbia, Oxford, Cambridge, INSEAD, MIT, Caltech, UC Berkeley, and Northwestern. Want an admissions expert to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!