Here’s a look at HBS’s Class of 2023 taken from the Harvard Business School website:
Number of applications: 9,773
- United States: 63%
- Asia: 13%
- Europe: 8%
- Mexico, Central & South America: 6%
- Canada: 3%
- Africa: 3%
- Middle East: 3%
- Oceania: 1%
US minorities: 52%
Average GPA: 3.69
Average years work experience: 5.0
Percent of class taking GMAT: 71%
- Verbal range: 28 – 51
- Quantitative range: 32 – 51
- Total range: 590–790
- Median verbal: 41
- Median quantitative: 49
- Median total: 730
Percent of class taking GRE: 29%
- Verbal range: 147 – 170
- Quantitative range: 146–170
- Median verbal: 163
- Median quantitative: 164
Breakdown of undergraduate majors (137 domestic universities and 158 international universities)
|Business / Commerce||21%|
|Math / Physical Science||15%|
|Art / Humanities||4%|
Breakdown of pre-MBA industry
|Venture Capital / Private Equity||15%|
|Manufacturing / Industrial / Energy||11%|
|Consumer Products / Retail / E-commerce||9%|
|Nonprofit / Government / Education||8%|
|Healthcare / Biotech||7%|
|Media / Entertainment / Travel||2%|
Harvard Business School’s typical class size is around 930 students. HBS gave all the incoming Class of 2022 students the option to defer, and that class was one of the smallest in recent history – 732. The incoming Class of 2023 is therefore larger than typical. In fact at 1,010 students it’s HBS’ largest class ever. HBS expanded the class so that it could make room for the deferred applicants from last year while admitting roughly the same percentage of applicants as in previous years.
- 29% of students applied using the GRE. Clearly HBS couldn’t care less if someone applies with the GRE or the GMAT. Choose the test on which you will earn the highest score.
- The percentage of women in the class edged up to 46%, 2 points higher than last year.
- Application volume increased roughly 5%, a healthy increase, but nothing record-breaking. It’s possible that applicant fears of a smaller intake due to the large number of deferrals from the previous class put a damper on application volume.
- The percentage of international students in this year’s class went from 33% to 37%. That increase represents a return to “normal” and increased availability of visas and comfort with travel.
Are you considering applying to business school?
We have the resources to help you navigate the options and make the right choice for you:
- M7 MBA Programs: Everything You Need to Know in 2021
- Harvard, Stanford, Wharton: What’s the Difference?
- GMAT, GPA, and MBA Acceptance Rates: The B-School Selectivity Index
Is HBS at the top of your wish list?
Get the competitive edge with HBS-specific advice and inside information:
- Sample Essays from Admitted HBS Students
- Harvard Business School MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [2021 – 2022]
- “I Wish the Admissions Committee Had Asked Me…”: How to answer open-ended MBA essay questions
- 7 Important Tips for Your HBS Post-Interview Reflection
Hear directly from Harvard alumni in these inspiring blog posts:
- An MBA Success Story Reflects on His HBS Experience, 7 Years Later
- A Harvard MBA’s Experience & Advice on Writing the Perfect Essay
- Entrepreneurship at HBS: How Stride Will Help You Fund Your Future
- How to Leverage an HBS Education: The Story of LeverEdge
- Ida Valentine: Investment Banker, Inspirational Speaker, HBS 2021
- The Journey from India to Harvard MBA
Do you need help gaining admission to Harvard Business School or any other top MBA program? That’s what we do! Explore our MBA Admissions Consulting Services and work one-on-one with an experienced admissions advisor who will help you GET ACCEPTED.For 25 years, Accepted has helped business school applicants gain acceptance to top programs. Our outstanding team of MBA admissions consultants features former business school admissions directors and professional writers who have guided our clients to admission at top MBA, EMBA, and other graduate business programs worldwide including Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Booth, INSEAD, London Business School, and many more. Want an MBA admissions expert to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!