Here’s a look at HBS’s Class of 2021 taken from the Harvard Business School website:
- Number of applications: 9,228
- Enrolled: 938
- Countries represented: 71
United States: 63%
Mexico, Central & South America: 5%
Middle East: 2%
- Women: 43%
- International: 37%
- US ethnic minorities: 27%
- Average GPA: 3.70
- Average years work experience: 4.7
- Percent of class taking GMAT: 80%
Verbal range: 31-51
Quantitative range: 38-51
Total range: 590-800
Median verbal: 41
Median quantitative: 48
Median total: 730
- Percent of class taking GRE: 20%
Verbal range: 147-170
Quantitative range: 145-170
Median verbal: 163
Median quantitative: 163
Breakdown of undergraduate majors (137 domestic universities and 155 international universities)
|Economics & Business||43%|
|Humanities & Social Science||19%|
Breakdown of pre-MBA industry
|Venture Capital/Private Equity||16%|
This year’s HBS application volume shows another decline. In the 2016-2017 application cycle, there were 10,351 applications; last year there were 9,866, and this year there were only 9,228. This year’s slight decline does not mean that it’s any easier to get into HBS.
Other items of note:
- Even more accepted applicants are taking the GRE: 20% in this year’s entering class compared to 15% last year.
- For the first time in 3 years, the percent of women’s enrollment went up: 43% this year compared to 41% last year.
- While the percentage of international students remained stable from last year at 37%, the percentage of U.S. ethnic minorities went up from 26% last year to 27% this year.
This year’s takeaway is that HBS continues to be stable in its class makeup. Minor shifts occur, but these are not enough to make any noticeable differences.
Do you need help gaining admission to Harvard Business School or any other top MBA program? Explore our MBA Admissions Consulting Services and work one-on-one with an advisor who will help you GET ACCEPTED.For 25 years, Accepted has helped business school applicants gain acceptance to top programs. Our outstanding team of MBA admissions consultants features former business school admissions directors and professional writers who have guided our clients to admission at top MBA, EMBA, and other graduate business programs worldwide including Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Booth, INSEAD, London Business School, and many more. Want an MBA admissions expert to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!
• Harvard Business School MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines
• What Does Harvard Business School Want?, a video
• What HBS is Looking For, a blog series