Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Android | Stitcher | TuneIn
If you are a pre-med preparing to take the MCAT or a waitlisted 2014 applicant, you may have something in common: A nagging fear that you just may not make it to medical school.
Enter, Dr. Lina Mehta, Associate Dean for Admissions at Case Western Reserve University College of Medicine, with good news: You can get accepted to med school.
Listen to our advice-packed interview for important tips for applicants at all stages of the medical school admissions process, a word of encouragement, and an inside look at Case Western.
00:02:15 – How Dr. Mehta got involved in admissions and what her job entails.
00:04:16 – The New MCAT’s impact on med school admissions.
00:05:26 – The value (and definition) of “applying early.”
00:09:00 – Is it too late for a student taking the MCAT in July/August to realistically apply to med school this year?
00:11:33 – Whom the adcom is hoping to meet in a personal statement.
00:13:15 – Case Western’s 4 Themes and what they mean for applicants.
00:17:38 – Understanding the “leadership and civic professionalism” themes as Case Western School of Medicine.
00:19:27 – How secondary are secondary essays?
00:20:57 – The true goal of a med school interview.
00:22:30 – If only premeds would understand…. (about med school in general and Case Western Reserve specifically).
00:24:16 – Still on the waitlist: Should a student reapply or wait to hear back?
00:26:12 – Factors that could cause a competitive applicant to be rejected.
00:27:58 – Advice for freshman & sophomore premeds.
*Theme music is courtesy of podcastthemes.com.
• Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine Admissions
• Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
• Create a Winning AMCAS Application: Medical School Admissions Webinar
• Navigating the Med School Maze, tips to help you apply successfully to medical school.
• A Second Chance at Medical School: The A-Z of Applying to Postbac Programs
• Medical School Reapplicant Advice: 6 Tips for Success
• Medical School Admissions 2015-2016: A Dean’s Perspective
• Admissions Straight Talk: All Things Postbac
• A Window into the World and Life of Medical Scribes
• Elliptical, Meet Med School: Interview with Andrea Tooley
• Overcoming the Odds: A Story of Med School Inspiration