In this blog series, you’ll get succinct, practical tips on how you can optimize your AMCAS application for acceptance to top medical schools.
So far in this series we’ve talked about the WHO, WHY, WHAT, and HOW of creating an exemplary AMCAS essay. Now we’re going to offer some bonus tips that will help elevate your essay so it’s not just covering the right material in the correct order, but it’s actually written WELL.
1. Use active, lively, vivid verbs. You can “go” somewhere, or you can “meander,” “wander,” “race,” “rush,” etc. Variety enhances your verbiage!
2. Use metaphors and images to enliven your writing. This will help your reader jump into your experience.
3. Avoid clichés. Saying that you “think out of the box” isn’t really the most creative way of stating that you are creative. It’s just too overused.
4. Use suspense and irony. These elements show depth to your writing and to your personality.
5. Be succinct.
“5 Effective Techniques to Improve Your Writing” is taken from the Accepted guide, Ace the AMCAS Essay. To download the complete guide, Click here.
Learn more about writing a strong, memorable medical school application when you join us live for our upcoming Create a Winning AMCAS Application webinar on Tuesday, April 10th, 2018.
For individualized assistance, check out Accepted’s AMCAS Application Advising and Editing Packages – get matched with an expert med school advisor who will help you highlight your competitive advantage and get ACCEPTED!For 25 years, Accepted has helped applicants gain acceptance to their dream healthcare programs. Our outstanding team of admissions consultants features former admissions directors, admissions committee members, pre-health advisors, postbac program directors, and doctors. Our staff has guided applicants to acceptance at allopathic (MD) and osteopathic (DO) medical schools, residencies and fellowships, dental school, veterinarian school, and physician assistant programs at top schools such as Harvard, Stanford, Penn, UCSF, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, and many more. Want an admissions expert to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!
• The 5-Step Guide to Successful Medical School Personal Statements, a free webinar
• How to Stay Within Essay Word Limits by Reducing Verbal Verbosity
• 5 Elements to Telling an Attention-Grabbing Story