Michigan Ross 2015 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

Click here for more top b-school application essay tips!Ross completely redid the essay part of its MBA application this year. Getting rid of its long-standing goals essay, a fairly new “elevator pitch” question, and a question about dealing with frustrating or disappointing situations, it added two questions on achievements.  The overall word count is down 150 words.

Since the application is not live, I can’t see the short answer questions or the online boxes. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Ross asks about goals in the non-essay portion of the application.

Review Ross’ Evaluation Criteria before you sit down to write the essays. And remember: your essays should reveal the qualities Ross seeks — not just mouth them. Show that you walk the walk, not just talk the talk. Also, read carefully the introductory paragraph to the essay questions. The advice is excellent.

My comments are in blue below.

Essays:

Our goal with these new questions is that we’ll get a sense of who you are, how you think about yourself and how you process your experiences. The range of responses can be quite wide – from an accomplishment to a challenge or difficult situation that you overcame or a characteristic about yourself. There isn’t a “right” or “preferred” type of response. Applicants often ask how they can differentiate themselves. The essays are the best way to do it. Your undergraduate school and major may be similar to another applicant’s. Your career path and goals may be similar to another applicant’s. But your experiences and what you take away from them will be unique.

1. What are you most proud of professionally and why? What did you learn from that experience? (400 words)

The first part of the question is fairly straightforward. What are you truly proud of professionally? The reasons for your pride and the lessons learned require thought and soul-searching. And of course, you only have 400 words.

Good reasons for the choice: Contribution to your team, department, company, or society.  Impact on you or others. Try to quantify this part of your answer. Numbers are a great way to show both contribution and impact.  However, if your #1 achievement is qualitative or difficult to quantify, don’t let lack of numbers stop you from using it.

For the lessons learned part of the question, focus. Choose one lesson that has changed how you think or behave and describe those changes.  You don’t have room for many lessons learned, so select the most important one.

2. What are you most proud of personally and why? How does it shape who you are today? (400 words)

This response should compliment your response to #1 and obviously it should not be professional. Ross wants to know that you have a life off the job and that you make a difference then too.

What have you done off the job that you are really proud of? Raised money for a favorite charity by running a marathon? Organized a political event? Engaged in interfaith dialogue that broke down communications barriers? Led a sports team to victory?

Any of the above and many, many other non-professional achievements would qualify as a good topic for this essay.

Then what was its impact on you? Please don’t write that you learned you can do anything you put your mind to. That response is cliched and not really true. It’s a non-answer. A good response will show how your behavior or thinking has changed as a result of this accomplishment.

3. Optional question: is there anything not addressed elsewhere in the application that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about you to evaluate your candidacy? (300 word maximum)

Optional questions aren’t junk drawers or shoe boxes in which to jam “stuff.” Focus on one facet of your life or an experience that is important to you, reveals the human being you are, and isn’t described in other parts of the application.

Of course, you can also use this essay to provide context for a weakness, but I prefer not to end your application on that note if possible. So weigh your options. If you have something to explain, do so. If you can slip in the explanation somewhere else, great. If the best place for the explanation is this last essay, so be it.

If you would like professional guidance with your Michigan Ross MBA application, please consider Accepted’s MBA essay editing and MBA admissions consulting or our  MBA Application Packages, which include advising, editing, interview coaching, and a resume edit for the Michigan Ross application.

Michigan Ross 2015 MBA Application Deadlines:

Round 1
Applications due Oct. 6, 2014 at 11:59 PM (EST)
Decisions posted Dec. 19, 2014 at 12:00 PM (EST)

Round 2
Applications due Jan. 5, 2015 at 11:59 PM (EST)
Decisions posted March 13, 2015 at 12:00 PM (EST)

Round 3
Applications due March 23, 2015 at 11:59 PM (EST)
Decisions posted May 15, 2015 at 12:00 PM (EST)

MBA Admissions A-Z: 26 Great Tips - Download your free copy!

Linda Abraham By , president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the new, definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools.

• http://www.accepted.com Linda Abraham

If any readers would like a profile evaluation for Michigan Ross, please provide the following info:

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.
    2) Your GMAT or GRE. Percentiles preferred.
    3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.
    4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
    5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
    6) Your post-MBA goal.

Or if you just have a question about MBA admissions, I’ll do my best to answer it.

• The Airline Guy

Hi Linda, I guess I’m lucky number one!

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience- Project
      Manager at a leading airline technology company. Managed implementations for major international airlines, traveling to client sites to conduct functional training and advise them on product strategy. Promoted within 2 years and entrusted to lead my product delivery for
      the company’s largest implementation. Spearheaded a 15% reduction in project implementation hours by removing redundancies and optimizing processes, leading to savings of $25,000 per project for all future implementations. Managed internal and customer teams of 20 people or more throughout the project life-cycle, with a >90% on-time project completion record.

2) GMAT 760 (Q50,V42, AWA 6.0)

3) College info: BITS Pilani, GPA (7.0). Masters
      of Physics + Bachelor’s of Mechanical Engineering. Graduated-2012.

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience-Extensive involvements in non-profit education efforts, raised significant funds for sending students from a charitable school to good colleges. Head of company CSR department. StartingBloc Fellow. President of a
      Toastmasters club, College football vice-captain.

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA- None

6) Your post-MBA goal-Immediately post-MBA I would like to move into a consulting role in the airline industry, advising clients on network strategy, inventory control, revenue optimization and so on. In the long-term, I want to take up a leadership position at a leading Indian airline and drive strategy and operational decisions.

Thanks very much for your advice!

Airline Guy,

Thanks for your post.

It’s better to be #1 than #2. :-)

You have a highly competitive profile for Ross and it’s a good program for you considering your goals and background. Also consider MIT Sloan, CMU Tepper, Kellogg, and Wharton.

Best,
        Linda

• Airline Guy

Thanks Linda, appreciate the inputs :)

• uday arora

Hey Linda,
      1.I have close to two years of full-time work-ex. I have done my undergrad in Electronics and Communication Engineering. Recently, I have moved into Consulting Industry. I was previously working as an Analyst at KPMG but now I am working as a Consultant at Deloitte Consulting. Generally, a person with 3+ years of experience is taken as a Consultant.
      Also, I have received ‘Applause’ at my previous Organization. I was also the Star Performer.

2. I was also a part of Make A Difference(NGO) from 2013-2014.

3. GMAT – 690(Q:49, V:35)

4. Post MBA, I wish to continue my career in Consulting. To be specific, Strategy Consulting.

5. Being in Consulting, my Job Role currently involves a lot of Client Interaction.

6. Academics: 10th(86.5%), 12th(91.33%), Undergrad(76%)
      Also, I have received Director Awards at Undergrad level.

I will be applying to Ross this year for Fall, 2015 session.

Please provide your candid feedback.

Thanks and Regards,
      Uday

• http://www.accepted.com Linda Abraham

Your work experience is competitive. Your GMAT is a tad low given your demographic. Your GPA is competitive assuming you also attend a rigorous college.

In short, you have chance at Ross, but don’t apply exclusively to Ross. Also consider Johnson, UNC, Duke, Yale, CMU Tepper, Emory, Darden, and Georgetown.

Best,
        Linda

• the_IT_GUY

Hi Linda ,
    1.Working in Oracle as Senior Sftware devloper , Soon to be a team lead …. handle product development for JDEdwards ERP , pluss have interaction with Global customer support and Product strategy .
    Have had meetings with customers from Brazil ,Russia Singapore , US , UK , Romania , etc . on issues and enhancements for product .
    2. CGPA -8.4/10 did B.Tech in Electrical and Electronics from NIT Surathkal
    3. Gmat – 720 (38 verbal and 50 Quant )
    4. Post MBA want to go into product management in technology company like Amazon , microsoft , google .
    5. Founder of Grey to Green initiative . Oracle fintess club in my company (i am a complete fitness freak . )

• uday arora

Hey Linda,

2. I was also a part of Make A Difference(NGO) from 2013-2014.

3. GMAT – 690(Q:49, V:35)

I will be applying to Ross this year for Fall, 2015 session.

Please provide your candid feedback.

Thanks and Regards,
      Uday

• Bschool2k17

Hi Linda,

1. I have been working for three years in strategy and operations. Started off with Tata Consultancy as a tech analyst and moved on to be a strategy and operational consultant for a european telecom firm (market share – 5%) , I revamped the complete process for BA team here, which helps them save 46,000 euros annually! Was the youngest manager too, and handled senior members and external vendors. I am working as an independent consultant right now, where I restructure business processes for a real estate firm. The last audit revealed that the new processes have helped the firm reduce revenue leakages by 200,000 USD.

2. GMAT score – 700 VA: 83 percentile, QA – 79, IR – 7, AWA – 6
    3. Graduated from the #1 engineering school under GGSIPU, New Delhi. Percentage – 66%, class rank – 12
    4. Founder of a national organization that helps students prepare for interviews and confidence building. Student base of over 3000 students. Also financial advisor to a national bank under a central government welfare scheme.
    5. Certifications – None, though I plan to enroll as a CFA 1 candidate in December.
    6. Post MBA goal – Continue in same practice – Strategy & Operations but more focused towards Business design & Process Improvement.

bschool2k17,

Your work experience looks highly competitive. Your academics less so.

Has all your work experience been in India?

Linda

• sonofindia

Hi Linda,

Thanks for doing this.

My profile :

GMAT score – 730 GPA – 6.3/10 Work-ex – 2.5 years, till now. will be 3 the time I join in any university. Working as an analyst in one of the big 4 Consultancies. Received awards in the organization through the past two years and am a valued team member.
    Co-curricular – president, college press club and captain of football team.

I am thinking of Anderson, Kelley, McCombs, Sloan(long shot?), Ross, Cornell.

Thanks ! : )

Sonofindia,

You’re welcome!

Sloan is a long-shot. But you have a competitive profile for the other programs on your list.

Best,
      Linda

• Rajiv Rajput

hello linda
    thanks a lot for writing this beautiful piece

my GMAT score is 710

college information: MSc in software engineering from university of southampton, UK (76%), B TECH computer science(7.9GPA), 12th (73%), 10th (84%).
    work ex: worked in openbet (software) london for 13 months then returned back to INDIA due to some family issues and after the gap of 6 months i resumed my job in software industry presently working as teach lead.
    extra curricular: in the last two years i have been involved in variety of extra curricular activities ranging from participating in seminars and political mobilisation of people. previously, as well i was very involved in extra curricular activities and received many awards and accolades.

i am planning to apply for BOOTH, ROSS, CORNELL
    please provide a straight forward reply that what are my chances at these schools, and particularly booth?
    Regards.

Rajiv,

Thanks for the feedback.

Booth is a stretch unless you have unusual achievements at work or in your extra-curricular activities. You are more competitive at Ross and Cornell.

Best,
      Linda

• Clara Cla

Hi, Linda.
    My name is Clara and applying duke and michigan MBA. I have a question regarding a letter of recommendation.

I need to get a letter of recommendation from 2 people. I have three options and want to know which 2 options are better.
    I can’t get a letter of recommendation since I only have worked with her for 6 months and I don’t think she knows me that well yet.

1. My former direct supervisor (she left the company and moved to a different company, I had worked with her for 3 yrs)
    2. My current senior manager(i’ve worked with him about 2.5 yrs)
    3. Volunteer manager (I’ve volunteered almost 6 yrs in a community center)

I was thinking about option 2&3, but I heard that it’s better for me to submit a letter of recommendation from someone that I’ve worked with in a professional level. So should I choose 1&2?

What do you think?

Thanks so much!!!

Clara,

If you are applying for the Ross MBA, it required one letter of recommendation. Please see http://michiganross.umich.edu/programs/full-time-mba/application-requirements . For Ross you should submit a professional letter of recommendation and either #1 or #2 would work.

For Duke, you could easily and effectively do any combination. First you have to decide if you want both to be professional or if you want one from the community center and one professional. I would go with the community center if you have had real impact there and it’s a significant ongoing commitment.. If it’s something you do once a quarter or even once a month, I probably would go with 2 professional recommendations.

I would be more inclined to go with the community center manager if you had leadership responsibility there and didn’t on the job or if this work relates to your long-term goals.

Best,
      Linda

• Andy_one

I have 4 year exp in Aerospace industry in UK, Master degree in Aerospace from Cranfield University and Bachelors degree in Mechanical from India. I would like to some suggestions of MBA universities offering specialization in strategy, operation and general management. Post mba, I would like to get into Airline consulting or Aerospace OEM management role.

Kindly suggest few MBA universities which suits my profile and future career goals. I am yet to give my GMAT but expecting a score between 600-700. Also are One year MBA good, considering already have a master degree, it will save time.

Andy-One.

Please respond to the questions you missed from this post and then I’ll respond. Also, a 600-700 GMAT range is simply too big to be meaningful.

Regards,
      Linda

• Tom

Hi Linda,
    I am a college freshman at Michigan and am applying to The Ross Undergraduate Program. I am struggling with the “professional accomplishment ” question. I think I have a good essay for the personal accomplishment. But what do they want to hear about when they talk about professional accomplishments for undergraduates? I’ve had summer jobs (child care, short order cook) but I’m having trouble thinking about how I can turn that into an essay. Thanks.

Tom,

If you worked when you were working that was your profession. Is there anything you are proud of that you did when you were the short order cook or the babysitter. As a cook, did you successfully calm an irritated customer or co-worker? Did you see a way to improve or speed up a process? In child care, did you have opportunities for creativity, initiative, or event planning? Were you particularly successful in dealing with a difficult child or parent?

Any of those could work.

Best,
      Linda

• SS

Hi linda,

Thanks for setting this up and providing feedback to all us new seekers !

Here’s my story

1) Work-ex of 16months for Ford Motor company on contract. Received 2 technical achievement awards and 2 personal achievement awards (bold leadership and exemplary teamwork) during the stint. I work as an application engineer on global launch programs and lead cross functional teams towards high quality project deliverance on time.

2) I gave my GRE in 2010 and scored 1460. Using GRE site for conversion that equals 720 on GMAT.(95 verbal, 78 quant, 38 analytical)

3) Master’s from University of Florida with 3.96 GPA and 2 outstanding academic achievement awards. Major-Mech Engineering, graduated May 2013.

4) 4years drama club member in undergrad in India. Won national’s and participated in South asian youth festival from INdian contingent.

Debate club member and various awards in competitions.

Soccer team captain.

Winner of various business plan competitions and semifinalist at UT Austin on SOcial dell innovation competition business plan submission.

Marketing head for National technical fest held at college created sponsorship of around $6000. ( more significant in INdian currency)

5) NO certifications.

6) Post MBA continue at Ford as an engineer w/ a strong strategic business acumen and rise in ranks to higher management or work in organizations like IMF on global financial strategies.

What kind of schools should i try for weekend MBA ? I want Ross because of it’s reputation and proximity to work. Feasible?

Also my GRE score expires in August so I need to apply this year itself or take GMAT again. Is my short work ex a deterrent on the weight of my application ?

Thanks

• http://www.accepted.com Linda Abraham

yes. You have a competitive profile for the Ross weekend MBA. I also think it would be an excellent choice for you given your interests.

Best,
      Linda

• adityathapar87

Hi Linda,

I was really overwhelmed to see your quick responses to help people like me and thought of dropping my evaluation query as well.

Here’s my profile:

Hi,

(Male/27/Indian/Non-IT):

GMAT: 700 (Q49 V 36 AWA5)

Undergrad: NIT Kurukshetra (Top Tier Institute of India)
    (CGPA- 8.28/10)

Major: Civil Engineering

Xth: 88%

XIIth: 82.8%

———————————————————————————————————————————————–

Total Work Ex: 4.7 years. Will be 5.5 for January 2016
    intakes.

Work
    Ex: 3.4 Years in Project Management – South Korean Multinational

-Sector: Thermal Power and Energy

Job Description: Cost Control & Estimation, Planning
    and Scheduling of Civil Works Packages as per Risk Assessment Practices, Contractor
    Management, Negotiations for award of contracts having worth more than $ 1
    Billion till date. Business Relationship with the biggest
    project sites. Hand-on experience of solving Contractual Obligations and
    Payment Terms. My job requires me to travel frequently to our various remote
    sites. One memorable achievement I would like to mention is my experience of

‘-
    Project Incharge for small civil works packages. Have saved around $ 5 million
    in various projects.

Previous: 1.3 Years Work Ex with
    Construction Company in New Delhi,

‘-
    Sector: Building Construction

Job Description: Design Engineering of Steel Structures
    for prestigious Delhi Metro Project.

Months Overseas Experience in Dubai. I have worked with people from different
    countries like Syria, Pakistan and UAE while my stay there.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Personal Ventures/Achievements:

– Chief Operating Officer, SunTechnochem. A Chemical
    based firm started in 2011 by me as my entrepreneurial venture.100% increase in
    Initiated the process to setup factory level business in North India. Have set
    up a factory in my hometown.

– Social causes:

1. Leader for overhauling of a school
    for the underprivileged through CSR operations committee of organisation. Star
    volunteer award in 2013 for outstanding contribution to School upliftment.

2. Member of the Swach Bharat Abhyaan- Gurgaon Chapter,
    Doosan India. Through this, we are trying to create awareness among the locals
    to have a neat environment and help in making the city a better place to live
    in.

– Marathon
    Champion in School.

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Other involvements:

– Represented Civil Engineering Department batch 2k6 in
    the Placement advisory committee of NIT Kurukshetra 2009-2010.

– Captain of the Doosan Cricket League. Won the
    tournament

– Chief Secretary of techno cultural society of Civil
    Dept in College- ILLUME

– Exras I have to my credit except this are:

1. Won the First prize in Architect- City Planning competition, Second Prize in
    Design Concrete Competition and membership certificates for national level
    events of college like confluence, Literati etc. (I don’t know whether these
    things make a difference)

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Colleges applying to :For 2016 Fall

NUS (Already Submitted), INSEAD, ROSS, TEPPER, PURDUE, SMEAL,
    EMORY, ISB.

Please suggest whether my choices are good. If possible,
    kindly let me know few more schools to which I can apply.

Regards,

Aditya

• http://www.accepted.com Linda Abraham

INSEAD and ISB may be stretch programs, but you have a competitive profile for the other schools on your list.

Best,
      Linda

• adityathapar87

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience.
    (Total 4.7 years)
    Current: 3.4 Years in Project Management – South Korean Multinational
    Sector: Thermal Power and Energy
    Job Description: Cost Control & Estimation, Planning and Scheduling of Civil Works Packages as per Risk Assessment Practices,Contractor Management, Negotiations for award of contracts having worth more than $ 1 Billion till date. Business Relationship with the biggest construction companies of India. Managing a team of 7 people deputed at our various project sites. Hand-on experience of solving Contractual Obligations and Payment Terms. My job requires me to travel frequently to our various remote sites. One memorable achievement I would like to mention is my experience of working in an extremist (Naxalist) dominated area of Chhatisgarh in our country. Project Incharge for various small civil works packages. Have saved around $ 5 million in various projects.

Previous: 1.3 Years Work Ex with Construction Company in New Delhi
    Sector: Building Construction
    Job Description: Design Engineering of Steel Structures for prestigious Delhi Metro Project.2 Months Overseas Experience in Dubai. I have worked with people from different countries like Syria, Pakistan and UAE while my stay there.

2) Your GMAT or GRE. Percentiles preferred.
    GMAT : 700 (q 49 (79) v 36 (81))

3) College info: NIT Kurukshetra (Top Tier Institute of India)
    (CGPA- 8.28/10)
    Major: Civil Engineering

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular
    activities or community service, especially leadership experience.

a. Chief Operating Officer, SunTechnochem. A Chemical based firm started in 2011 by me as my entrepreneurial venture.100% increase in revenue YoY. 4 Full time employees, 25-30 contract based as per need. Successfully implemented business model ranging from manufacturing, marketing to distribution. Initiated the process to setup factory level business in North India. Have set up a factory in my hometown.
    b. Social causes: Leader for overhauling of a school for the underprivileged through CSR operations committee of organisation. Star volunteer award in 2013 for outstanding contribution to School upliftment.Member of the Swach Bharat Abhyaan- Gurgaon Chapter,Doosan India. Through this, we are trying to create awareness among the locals to have a neat environment and help in making the city a better place to live in.

c. Marathon Champion in School.
    d. Represented Civil Engineering Department batch 2k6 in the Placement advisory committee of NIT Kurukshetra 2009-2010.
    e. Captain of the Doosan Cricket League. Won the
    tournament
    f. Founder of techno cultural society of Civil Dept in College- ILLUME
    g. Won the First prize in Architect- City Planning competition, Second Prize in Design Concrete Competition and membership certificates for national level events of college like confluence, Literati etc. (I don’t know whether these things make a difference)

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA- No. But I have a
    certificate of “Doing Business With Koreans”. Dont know whether it is useful or not.
    6) Your post-MBA goal.- Major inclination- To work in the Construction
    Consulting arms of management Consulting firms.Gain experience and achieve a CEO position in a construction firm in the long run.

• Giuseppe Lombardo

Hi Linda,

1) 4 years of working in a family business. Is a Shoe retail company with over 30 stores in Venezuela. Started as a treasury assistant and currently i am the CFO and Chief of New Projects. In terms of Projects, in these two years i have develop the e-commerce for the company in 2013 and in 2015 designed a plan to import over 200,000 pairs of shoes for our stores.
    2)GMAT 640 – GRE quantitative 160 verbal 152
    3) Bentley University 2011 graduate – Major in Finance, Minor in International Economics GPA 3.86/4.00 Summa Cum Laude Honors
    4) After college i Joined Youth for Human Rights in Venezuela and was a volunteer until June 2014. In 2013 with the help of my family business i partnered with different children house in Caracas to help kids with school supplies and clothing. Finally, i am the captain and coach of an amateur soccer team in Caracas, we train two times per week and play a state tournament during the weekends.
    5) NONE
    6) My post MBA goals is to stay in the United States from 3 to 5 years to gain some experience in the retail and cosumer product market working for a multinaltional company. I expect to return to Venezuela after that time to join my Family business Again.

I want my concentration to be in Corporate Finance and Management.

Any suggestions in term of MBA that i would qualify? The schools I am interested in are:
    Yale
    Columbia
    Duke
    Dartmouth
    Warthon
    University of Chicago

Thank you very much!

Hi Giuseppe,

While your GPA and work experience are competitive, your GMAT is low for your target programs.

Also why would you want to concentrate in corporate finance and general management if you want to get experience in retail and consumer goods marketing? There seems to be a disconnect there.

While it is possible given your grades, work experience, and Latin American background that you could get in with that GMAT, I wouldn’t count on it. You either need to raise that score or also apply to a few programs that are easier to get into than the ones you list above. Consider UNC, UT Austin, Babson, Indiana Kelley, Washington Olin, and Rochester Simon.

Best,