1. Chicago Booth (U.S.)
2. Dartmouth Tuck (U.S.)
3. UVA Darden (U.S.)
4. HEC Paris (France)
5. IESE Business School (Spain)
6. Harvard Business School (U.S.)
7. UC Berkeley Haas (U.S.)
8. NYU Stern (U.S.)
9. Stanford GSB (U.S.)
10. Columbia Business School (U.S.)
11. UPenn Wharton (U.S.)
12. MIT Sloan (U.S.)
13. UCLA Anderson (U.S.)
14. Northwestern Kellogg (U.S.)
15. London Business School (U.K.)
16. University of Queensland Business School (Australia)
17. Emory Goizueta (U.S.)
18. INSEAD (France)
19. Yale SOM (U.S.)
20. Michigan Ross (U.S.)
1. HEC Paris (France)
2. Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School (Belgium)
3. Thunderbird School for Global Management (U.S.)
4. NYU Stern (U.S.)
5. UC Berkeley Haas (U.S.)
6. Notre Dame Mendoza (U.S.)
7. Warwick Business School (U.K.)
8. USC Marshall (U.S.)
9. Melbourne Business School (Australia)
10. UVA Darden (U.S.)
A Poets & Quants article on the rankings states that at least 17 business schools declined to participate in this year’s rankings, many claiming that The Economist’s methodology is faulty. Some of these schools include Babson Olin, Toronto Rotman, Sauder School (British Columbia), Minnesota Carlson, McGill Desautels, Purdue Krannert, and, University of Manchester (U.K.), Imperial College Business School (U.K.), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Regarding methodology, 80% of the data used for the rankings is derived from surveys provided by the schools themselves. The remaining 20% of information comes from current students and recent grads.
John Byrne notes that since The Economist rankings launched in 2002, Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton have never topped the charts. This year, the schools rank at 6th, 9th, and 11th place, respectively. In 2005, Harvard and Wharton weren’t included in the rankings as they declined to contribute data. (That year, those two programs also declined to participate with the Businessweek rankings.)
Matt Symonds, who wrote a critique of the rankings, “Leave no MBA ranking unquestioned,” provides these additional points:
• Booth took the #1 spot for the third year in a row, and the fifth time in the last eight years.
• There are only six European schools in the top 25; in 2008, there were 11. This year, Cambridge Judge and Oxford Saïd both dropped 15 places, to 52nd and 69th place respectively.
• The breakdown of the criteria used to rank the schools goes as follows: personal development/education experience (35%), open new career opportunities (35%), increase salary (20%), and potential to network (10%).
• This year, more than 20 schools rose or fell by double-digits (and thus the rankings have been criticized for their volatility).
• Big droppers include University of Bath School of Management which fell 23 spots from its previous 20th place; York Schulich fell to 41st place from 22nd last year.
• Big jumpers include Kellogg and Yale which both jumped 9 places up to 14th and 19th place respectively; Rochester Simon and Temple Fox both jumped 20 places to 58th and 57th place respectively.
Last updated on