Obtaining an advanced degree in engineering enables students to build on skills they acquired in their undergrad programs. There are many programs specializing in everything from aerospace engineering to petroleum engineering. Last week, U.S. News released their 2020 graduate engineering program rankings.
U.S. News Top 10 Engineering Graduate Schools
|1||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Cambridge, MA|
|2||Stanford University||Stanford, CA|
|3||University of California - Berkeley||Berkeley, CA|
|4||Carnegie Mellon University||Pittsburgh, PA|
|5||California Institute of Technology||Pasadena, CA|
|5||University of Michigan - Ann Arbor||Ann Arbor, MI|
|7||Georgia Institute of Technology||Atlanta, GA|
|8||Purdue University - West Lafayette||West Lafayette, IN|
|9||University of Southern California (Viterbi)||Los Angeles, CA|
|10||University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign||Urbana, IL|
But where should you go?
U.S. News surveyed 214 doctoral programs in the fall of 2018 and early 2019. Of the 214 schools surveyed, 199 provided the necessary information and were ranked based on the weighted average of the following indicators:
- Peer assessment score (0.25): Engineering school deans and deans of graduate studies at engineering schools were asked to rank programs from marginal (1) to outstanding (5). Those who didn’t have enough information about a school to fairly rate it responded “I don’t know,” which didn’t count for or against a school.
- Recruiter assessment score (0.15): Information for this score was provided by corporate recruiters, employers and other who hired from all the engineering programs. They also ranked the programs from marginal (1) to outstanding (5), with the option of responding “I don’t know.”
- Mean GRE quantitative score (0.0675): The mean quantitative GRE score for master’s and doctoral students entering in fall 2018.
- Acceptance rate (0.0325): The percentage of students applying to a school’s master’s and doctoral programs who were accepted.
- Student-faculty ratios: The ratio of full-time doctoral students to full-time tenured or tenure-track professors (0.075) and full-time master’s students to full-time tenured or tenure track professors (0.0375) in fall 2018.
- Percentage of faculty in the National Academy of Engineering (0.075): The fraction of full-time tenured or tenure-track professors who were members of the National Academy of Engineering in fall 2018.
- Doctoral degrees awarded (0.0625): The total number of doctoral degrees awarded in the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Total research expenditures (0.15): The total of externally funded engineering research expenses.
- Average research expenditures per faculty member (0.10): The average sum of externally funded engineering research expenses for fiscal years 2017 and 2018.
Would you like to see your name on an acceptance letter from one of these top engineering schools? Check out our guide to getting into a graduate engineering program and work with one of our expert consultants to get the guidance you need to get ACCEPTED.For 25 years, Accepted has helped applicants gain acceptance to top master’s and PhD programs. Our team of admissions consultants features former admissions directors, PhDs, and professional writers who have guided our clients to acceptance at top programs worldwide including Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, University of Chicago, UC Berkeley, Columbia, Cambridge, Oxford, McGill, HKUST, and many more. Want an admissions expert to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!
• Applying to Graduate Engineering Programs, a free guide
• Writing Your Career Goals Essay
• Society of Women Engineers: The Community for Women in Engineering, a podcast episode
Last updated on