This year’s Residency Match was once again the largest ever, according to NRMP data.
Here are the highlights:
• In the 2015 Match, 41,334 total registrants competed for 30,212 spots. Both the number of applicants and the number of available residencies were up this year, to new all-time highs.
• US allopathic seniors achieved a match rate of 93.9%, and 51% matched at their top choice program.
• 18,025 US allopathic seniors applied, an all-time high.
• US osteopathic students and graduates applied at a higher rate this year– 2,949 applicants, an increase of more than 200 over last year. They achieved their highest match rate ever, 79.3%.
• Match rates were virtually unchanged for IMGs, while the rate fell slightly for previous graduates of US allopathic schools.
• An all-time high of 1,035 couples participated in the Match, 110 more than last year, with a 94.8 percent match rate.
• Half of the 600-plus new first-year positions were in the primary care specialties of Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, and Pediatrics.
For more information, see the NRMP Press Release.