I checked my email this morning and found several informative MBA interview reports that had arrived over the weekend from applicants interviewing at HBS, Wharton, Columbia, London Business School, INSEAD, and other programs. Consequently, I decided it would be timely to post a mini-round up of MBA admissions interview news and resources.
- The HBS blog announced last week that HBS has issued most of its round 2 interview invitations. In Dee Leopold’s words, "While interview invitations will continue to be issued up until notification date, it is fair to say that the vast majority have been sent."
- Wharton has completed posting its round 2 interview invitations. Those round 2 applicants who did not receive an interview invitation are denied. Those who have received the precious invitation can jump in the air, dance for joy, and then check out the resources provided later in this post.
- The Darden Student Blog has a post outlining Darden’s reasons for going to an "invitation only" interview policy. According to Bill Gray, the student author, Darden previously required all domestic applicants to interview in Charlottesville, and just this year switched to invitation-only because the previous policy increased costs to the school and the applicant, and meant that domestic and international admissions processes differed. He also pointed at global warming, which I found a little disingenuous, but the other reasons make complete sense. A member of the Class of ’09 who applied under the old policy, Bill also wrote " I personally found it helpful to visit Darden before writing my essays.
- Haas presents a great series of tips for MBA interviews in its monthly admissions newsletter. Check out "How to Ace the Admissions Interview", by Peter Johnson, Director of Admissions, Full-time MBA Program
Now for the resources:
- MBA Mock Interviews and Coaching.
- MBA I.V.: Mainline to Top MBA Programs MBA Interview Questions and Tips. We can barely keep this ebook in stock, ;-), and we have received fantastic feedback on it, which we haven’t even posted yet. Here is a sampling:
- MBA Interview Feedback Database. The perfect source for the preparation Peter Johnson recommends in his tip article, the searchable database contains hundreds of interview reports from MBA interviews organized by school. Free.
- MBA Interview Prep. A five-day email mini course. Free.
Take advantage of the resources your wallet, sense of confidence, and general interview preparedness dictate.
And finally, a couple requests:
- After you interview, please share your MBA interview experience so the database will continue to grow and provide value. Doing so automatically enrolls you in Accepted’s It’s a 10! contest . Winners received an Amazon gift certificate of up to $20.
- When visiting b-school campuses, take a few pictures of any school (or its environs) listed in the Accepted B-school Zones page and send them in to Accepted’s Beautiful B-School Photo contest . In addition, we will soon add pages for UNC, Notre Dame, Emory, and Georgetown so feel free to send in pictures for those schools too. All honorable mentions receive a gift, and the three winners will take home up to a $200 gift certificate from Amazon. Right now, we only have one submission, so your chances of winning are outstanding. The contest ends April 30.
Last updated on