Inside Higher Ed reports that those looking for jobs in the English and foreign language sectors will have a difficult time this year. THe MLA announced some of the most significant declines in its 34-year history.
- The number of job postings in MLA’s Job Information List will decrease by 21% in 2008/9.
- For English language and literature the drop will be 22.2 %.
- For foreign languages, the drop will be 19.6%.
- The percentage of job postings for assistant professor positions dropped to 56% from 60%.
- The number of foreign language jobs remained stable.
Whether in English or foreign languages, executive director of the MLA, Rosemary G. Feal expressed concern regarding the current job market. Due to hiring freezes in many colleges and universities, she said that there will be “precious few attainable positions.”