This Emory Goizueta 2011 MBA Application tip post is one of a series of posts providing MBA application and essay advice for applicants to top MBA programs around the world. You can access the entire series at https://blog.accepted.com/acceptedcom_blog/tag/2011-mba-application-tips. My tips for answering Goizueta’s essay questions are in blue below.
In separate documents, please address the following questions. On the top of each page, please indicate your full name as listed on your application and the question to which you are responding.
1. Please answer each of the following four questions in a short paragraph of no more than 250 words each.
a. Why have you decided to pursue an MBA at this time?
b. What interested you in Goizueta Business School’s MBA program?
c. What are your short term post MBA goals?
d. What are your long term professional aspirations?
This is a variation on the classic MBA goals question. Connect the dots between your past, present, and future. Use specifics to highlight your achievements and pivotal experiences. Show that Goizueta will help you achieve your goals. Summary: How will the Emory MBA help you get from your current skill set and experiences to your short- and long-term goals?
2. Share one of your most significant professional accomplishments. Describe your precise role in this activity and how it has helped to shape your management skills. Please limit your response to 1000 words.
When have you really had impact on an organization? When have you contributed to an increase in membership or sales, a decrease in expenses or time to market, or a change of policy. Any of these outcomes could represent a significant professional or organizational accomplishment for you.
Make sure that the essay both defines your role and the impact of your achievement as well as the influence this experience has had on your views of management and your management skill set.
3. Goizueta Business School takes pride in our Core Values: Courage, Integrity, Accountability, Rigor, Diversity, Team, and Community. These ideals drive principled, effective leaders in business, and are the values we seek to instill in all of our students, both during their education at Goizueta and beyond. Provide a specific example of how you have demonstrated one of these values in your professional experience. Please limit your response to 500 words.
As you reflect on this question, also review Goizueta’s core values. All your essays should demonstrate that you identify with these values.
This question, however, asks you to choose one example that reveals your commitment to one of these values, not all of them and not many examples. Keep this essay focused and tell a story.
4. Complete one of the following statements. Please limit your response to 500 words.
a. I am unique because…
b. My most memorable cross-cultural experience…
c. I am passionate about…
d. My personal brand is…
e. I took a risk when I…
Don’t sit there and try to calculate which questions Emory really wants you to answer. It is giving you a choice so that you choose the two that allow you to best present yourself to the admissions committee. Choose topics that will complement the other elements of the application and perhaps address a possible short coming or even a stereo-type.
Optional Essay: If you have additional information or feel there are extenuating circumstances which you would like to share with the MBA Admissions Committee (i.e. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, academic performance issues, areas of weakness in application), please complete this optional essay in 250 words or less.
If there is something you believe would add to your case for admissions that is not covered in the rest of the application, write about it here. Given that you have a maximum of 250 words, realize that this questions requires focus. Focus on one facet of your life or an experience that is important to you, reveals the human being you are, and isn’t described in other parts of the application.
You can of course also use this essay to “explain” a weakness, but I hate to end your application on that note if it can be avoided. So weigh your options. If you have something to explain, do so. If you can tuck the explanation somewhere else in the application, more power to you. If the best place for the explanation is this last essay, so be it.
Applicants who have applied to Goizueta Business School in the past should answer essays 1 (above) and the reapplicant essay below (re-applicants may also answer the optional essay).
Re-applicant Essay: Please explain how you have improved your candidacy for Goizueta Business School’s MBA Program since your last application in 250 words or less.
This is THE key question for all reapplicants. Goizueta just asks it explicitly. Please see:
- Application Advice for MBA Reapplicants
- Create a Better Sequel: How to Reapply Right to Business School
- Take 2: MBA Reapplicant Webinar
If you would like help with your Emory MBA application, please consider Accepted’s MBA essay editing and admissions consulting or an Emory MBA School Package, which includes essay editing, interview coaching, consultation, and a resume edit for the Goizueta MBA application.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications received after the final deadline will be reviewed on a space available basis. Applications will not be reviewed until they are complete with all required materials including official test scores, recommendation letters, official transcripts, essays, resume and interview (where applicable). We encourage candidates who have submitted their on-line application to log into OPUS to verify materials received and to check their application status. The Admissions Office cannot accommodate requests to verify materials received over the phone.
- November 1, 2010 – Early Deadline
- December 1, 2010* – Recommended International Deadline
- February 1, 2011** – Scholarship and One-Year Program Deadline
- March 1, 2011 – Final Deadline
* International applicants are encouraged to apply by December 1, 2010. However, applications received by the final program deadline will still be given complete consideration.
** All One-Year Program applicants and all those who wish to be considered for scholarships must submit the application and all materials by February 1, 2011 to be given complete consideration.