As AMCAS season moves into full swing, we’ve nabbed an interview with two people whom med applicants everywhere are working to impress.
Listen to our conversation where Dr. Jesus Vallejo, Assistant Dean for Admissions and Dr. Karen Johnson, Associate Dean for Admissions at Baylor College of Medicine, share a gold mine of information and advice for current and future med school applicants.
00:01:41 – What do deans of admissions actually do?
00:06:20 – Best part of the job!
00:08:05 – AMCAS & TMDSAS.
00:11:09 – An overview of the Baylor curriculum & approach.
00:16:29 – Ramifications of the new MCAT.
00:20:46 – Just how important is it to apply early?
00:23:15 – The best time to take the MCAT.
00:28:41 – Whom the adcom is hoping to “meet” in an AMCAS application.
00:32:03 – Baylor’s mission, vision, and values, and what they mean for applicants.
00:36:59 –Early decision: For the few and far between.
00:39:27 – What your secondary application to Baylor College of Medicine needs to convey.
00:42:57 – Preparing for a medical school interview.
00:45:44 – Important advice for reapplicants.
00:50:21 – Why does an applicant with good credentials get rejected.
00:53:09 – Take a reality check, be careful when you party, and other words of wisdom for applicants.
*Theme music is courtesy of podcastthemes.com.
• BCM Admissions
• For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Baylor Medical School’s Mission and Value
• Applying to Med School with Low Stats
• Create a Winning AMCAS Application
• Navigating the Med School Maze, tips to help you apply successfully to medical school
• Medical School Reapplicant Advice: 6 Tips for Success
• Attn Med Applicants: A Class Is Matriculated Every Single Year
• Medical School Admissions 2015-2016: A Dean’s Perspective
• Admissions Straight Talk: All Things Postbac
• A Window into the World and Life of Medical Scribes
• Elliptical, Meet Med School: Interview with Andrea Tooley
• Overcoming The Odds: A Story Of Med School Inspiration