This interview is part of a new series, featuring interviews with MCAT2015 test takers, offering readers an inside look at the exam experience and some of the top MCAT test prep services out there. And now for a chat with Jake who prepared for the exam using M Prep – and scored a 512 on the exam!
Accepted: We’d like to get to know you! Where are you from? Where are you in college? What are you studying?
Jake: I am from Butler, PA. I currently go to Saint Vincent College and will be a senior this fall. I am majoring in Biochemistry and minoring in Psychology.
Accepted: Can you share 3 fun facts about yourself?
Jake: I only chew half sticks of gum. I enjoy playing the card game euchre, especially with family. I am a Netflix and HBO buff and my favorite shows are True Detective and House of Cards.
Accepted: Can you tell us about your experience taking the MCAT2015?
Jake: I thought the test was extremely challenging and exhausting as expected. However, I was prepared and it is possible to do well on the MCAT2015. I will admit that I walked out of there hoping I did well enough to not retake it.
Accepted: What are your top 3 MCAT tips?
1. Find a program that works for you. There are so many out there are they are worth the money. I personally would recommend M Prep eCourse for the combination of not being too expensive and the effectiveness of the program.
2. Set aside an appropriate amount of time. Some people start studying a semester or even year(s) prior to MCAT. I started 3 weeks prior and did even better than my expectations. That’s just how I study. Think about how long it takes you to study for an ACS chemistry or organic chemistry year-long final.
3. Make sure you are properly prepared. Find ways to lower stress and anxiety before testing (especially the day before). I tested on 3 hours of sleep due to pre-test anxiety. I would recommend more. You are allowed to bring snacks and drinks in for breaks so no worries for caffeine addicts (like me).
Accepted: Can you tell us about your experience using M Prep? What were some of their features that most impressed you?
Jake: I really liked the set-up. The materials were all there and I was working at my own pace. I was looking for a program that would help me review MCAT relevant content. I was very approving of the lecture PowerPoints and accompanying the slides. The two guys explained the content thoroughly and in a way that was easy to understand.
In addition to the content review were apply sessions where the instructors taught strategy tips and how to effectively apply them. Included with this program was access to a database of with numerous practice passages from each of the four sections with feedback on each question. Also included was access to AAMC practice exams. If you have questions you can email the instructors and get a quick reply. The program was a complete package.
Accepted: Did you use any other MCAT prep resources?
Accepted: When and where do you plan on applying to med school? Have you completed any other med school admissions components?
Jake: I am applying this cycle and do not wish to release where I am applying to at this time. I am currently working on the secondary application part of the process.
Explore M Prep’s MCAT2015 services here. And thank you Jake for sharing your experience with us – we wish you loads of luck!
Since 2008, M Prep has trained thousands of students to be successful on the MCAT with our comprehensive course, realistic passages, and thousands of daily questions. Our mission is to provide the most realistic strategy-based MCAT materials outside the AAMC at a price far more affordable than our brand name competitors.
• MCAT Scores, MCAT Prep, and MCAT2015
• How to Succeed on Your MCAT Test Day
• For Parents of Pre-meds, How to Help During MCAT Preparation