Medical school application volume was at an all time high in 2013, up 6.1% to 48,014. Below are some more fun facts about U.S. News’ new rankings, followed by the list of top 10 med schools with the most applicants.
• The 10 med schools that got the most applicants in 2013 were all private schools located on the East Coast.
• Pennsylvania tops the charts with four of the top 10 med schools, including the top two slots.
• The schools on this top 10 list are the same as last year, but in a different order. For example, last year Washington University took the top slot, but this year it came in fifth.
• An average of 10,646 students applied to each of the top 10 schools, more than twice as high as the average number of applications submitted to the 114 schools that responded to the survey. (The average number of applications was 5,066.)
Top 10 Med Schools with Most Applications:
1. Drexel University College of Medicine (PA) – 13,620 applicants
2. Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (PA) – 12,901 applicants
3. Georgetown University (DC) – 12,250 applicants
4. Temple University (PA) – 10,980 applicants
5. George Washington University (DC) – 10,397 applicants
6. Jefferson Medical College (PA) – 10,118 applicants
7. Boston University (MA) – 9,665 applicants
8. New York Medical College (NY) – 2,044 applicants
9. New York University (NY) – 8,830 applicants
10. Tufts University (MA) – 8,647 applicants
Last updated on