THE 2015 EMORY GOIZUETA APPLICATION ESSAY TIPS ARE NOW LIVE! CLICK HERE TO CHECK THEM OUT.
To ace your Goizueta essays, you’ll need to show—not just tell—that you have the skills, passion, and motivation to excel in a rigorous academic environment, and then in the business world at large. Illustrate who you are, what you want, and where you are going. These essays are short – be prepared to make tough decisions about what key points to include and what to leave out. Write simply and directly to “squeeze” the most out of each word.
1. Complete each of the following questions. (Please limit your response to 200 words.)
• What is your short-term career goal and why is an MBA from Goizueta an important next step toward that goal?
• If your initial career plans are not realized, what else are you considering?
No room for backstory here. And notice the question is limited to short-term goal (the portion of your goals that directly relates to its program and resources – the school will likely have a role in your obtaining your post-MBA position). Address in specific terms: your desired position, an example of your desired company, what you expect to do in that role, and why you want it. Next, identify two to three aspects of the program most important to you and, for at least one point, note why. Last, present a credible “Plan B” short-term goal, noting why it’s still a good option for you.
2. The Business School is named for Roberto C. Goizueta, former Chairman and CEO of The Coca-Cola Company, who led the organization for 16 years, extending its global reach, quadrupling consumption, building brand responsibility, and creating unprecedented shareholder wealth. It is his legacy and the strength of his character that gives rise to our vision: Principled Leaders for Global Enterprise. We encourage you to watch this short video for inspiration in answering the question. The transcript of the video can be found here.
How will you contribute to and make a lasting impact on the Goizueta Business School community as a student or alumnus? (Please limit your response to 300 words.)
Select one to three specific ways you will contribute and elaborate on the impact you want and expect to have (make sure it’s consistent with the “character” point mentioned in the video). Note “lasting” impact – be sure to address this point. In selecting items to discuss, try to be strategic, i.e., what points can you mention that address the question effectively and also show a new or different dimension of your candidacy that is not apparent elsewhere in the application? Potential pitfall: only use points that are rooted in your experience. Mentioning good things you will do without any previous related experience will not be credible.
3. Complete one of the following statements. (Please limit your response to 250 words.)
I am unique because…
My most memorable cross-cultural experience…
I am passionate about…
The best piece of advice I’ve ever received is…
If you have additional information or feel there are extenuating circumstances which you would like to share with the MBA Admissions Committee (i.e. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, academic performance issues or areas of weakness in application). (Please limit your response to 250 words.)
If there is something you believe would add to your case for admissions that is not covered in the rest of the application, write about it here. Given that you have a maximum of 250 words, realize that this questions requires focus. Focus on one facet of your life or an experience that is important to you, reveals the human being you are, and isn’t described in other parts of the application.
You can of course also use this essay to provide context or “explain” a weakness, but I hate to end your application on that note if it can be avoided. So weigh your options. If you have something to explain, do so. If you can tuck the explanation somewhere else in the application, more power to you. If the best place for the explanation is this last essay, so be it.
Applicants who have applied to Goizueta Business School in the past are required to answer two questions:
1. Complete each of the following questions. Please limit your response to 200 words each.
What is your short-term career goal and why is an MBA from Goizueta an important next step toward that goal?
If your initial career plans are not realized, what else are you considering?
See tip above.
2. Explain how you have improved your candidacy for Goizueta Business School’s MBA Program since your last application. Please limit your response to 250 words.
This is THE key question for all MBA reapplicants. Goizueta just asks it explicitly. Please see MBA Reapplicant 101 for more advice.
If you would like professional guidance with your Emory Goizueta MBA application, please consider Accepted’s MBA essay editing and MBA admissions consulting or our MBA Application Packages, which include advising, editing, interview coaching, and a resume edit for the Emory Goizueta application.
|Application Deadline||Decision Notification|
|Round 1||October 11, 2013||December 5, 2013|
|Round 2||November 20, 2013||January 30, 2013|
|Round 3||January 10, 2014||March 6, 2014|
|Round 4||March 14, 2014||April 30, 2014|
By Cindy Tokumitsu, co-author of The Finance Professional’s Guide to MBA Admissions Success, and author of numerous ebooks, articles, and special reports. Cindy has advised hundreds of successful applicants in her last fifteen years with Accepted.com.